Obama’s Benghazi Cover-up About to Unravel in House Hearing

| May 2 2013
John Walker

Last Minute Stonewalling Attempts to Block Witnesses

The months-long cover-up of events surrounding the terrorist attacks in Benghazi last September now faces its greatest threat of exposure at a House hearing set for next Wednesday.

At the same time, the Obama administration continues to stonewall congressional efforts to uncover the facts about what happened before, during, and immediately after the attacks that took the lives of four Americans, including U.S. Ambassador Chris Stevens.

The hearing, scheduled by the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee, has the potential for groundbreaking testimony from State Department and CIA whistleblowers.

The whistleblowers face a major hurdle before they can testify. They must obtain government permission for themselves and their lawyers because they have access to classified material that could be discussed in the hearing. The administration is not making it easy.

Victoria Toensing, a lawyer for one of the State Department employees, told Fox News that administration officials have threatened her client and others.

“I’m not talking generally, I’m talking specifically about Benghazi- that people have been threatened,” Toensing said. “And not just the State Department. People have been threatened at the CIA.”

Early this year the Obama administration issued the findings of an in-house investigation on the events surrounding the Benghazi attacks. The investigation failed to quell concerns and led to a contentious congressional hearing with former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.

The administration has claimed consistently that it is been forthcoming and it is time to cease inquiries into the Benghazi attacks.

Earlier this week the State Department’s spokesman replied to reports that the Department was blocking security clearances for lawyers representing potential hearing witnesses.

“I’m not aware of private counsel seeking security clearances or- or anything to that regard,” he said. “I’m not aware of whistleblowers one way or another.”

The State Department comment flies in the face of the facts. Darrell Issa, chairman of the committee scheduled to conduct the hearing next week, has written to the State Department twice requesting a process for clearing a lawyer to receive classified information.

“How can they possibly get up there and just lie to the press corps?” Toensing said.

In another development, three Republican Senators sent another request to the administration asking for the names of Benghazi survivors in order to conduct interviews.

John McCain joined Lindsey Graham and Kelly Ayotte in the request. The Senators have long recommended formation of a select committee in Congress to examine Benghazi.

“The information will allow Congress to meet its oversight obligations and will help ensure our government is taking the proper steps to protect American lives abroad and prevent future terrorist attacks,” they wrote.

McCain said this week that allegations of threats and intimidation against potential congressional witnesses show the need for a more thorough probe of Benghazi.

“People do not trust the president and his people,” McCain said. “That’s why we need a select committee.”

2 comments
skip  jones
skip jones

what about clinton lying, when her signature is on a denial for added security

WesternFreePress
WesternFreePress moderator

 @skip jones Well that really is the question, isn't it? So far, she has been teflon. Does she continue to be? Is she vulnerable?