SOTU FACT: President Obama’s So-Called ‘Green Energy’ Agenda Has Wasted Millions and Shipped Jobs Overseas
CLAIM: President Obama pledges to pursue a green energy agenda that will create jobs and fuel economic growth.
- “The good news is, we can make meaningful progress on this issue while driving strong economic growth. … Four years ago, other countries dominated the clean energy market and the jobs that came with it. We’ve begun to change that. ” (President Obama, State of the Union Address, February 12, 2013)
FACT: The Obama administration’s so-called ‘green energy’ agenda has destroyed jobs at home, shipped jobs overseas and left American taxpayers holding the bag for millions of dollars in failed pet projects.
- President Obama pushed for a cap-and-trade national energy tax that put an estimated 1.4 million jobs at risk and would drastically increase energy costs.
- The Obama administration “expedited the approval of the Solyndra loan project” – knowing it was a precarious bet from the beginning – and put the interests of its financial backers ahead of the American people, leaving taxpayers holding the bag for the failed $535 million loan guarantee.
- The same program that funded the Solyndra failure also poured $400 million into the now defunct Abound Solar, which is under investigation by the House Energy & Commerce Committee.
- The Obama administration shipped ‘stimulus’ dollars to “foreign companies and workers” for “solar panels built in Mexico, electric delivery trucks assembled in Great Britain,” the Wall Street Journal reports. And The Washington Post says a government study found “60 percent of the 40 largest wind farms then financed by the stimulus relied on foreign manufacturers for their central components…” Those are just a few of several instances where the Obama administration outsourced ‘stimulus’ dollars, see more here.
- Meanwhile, according to the Energy Information Administration, oil production on federal land decreased by 14 percent and natural gas production on federal land decreased by 11 percent from 2010 to 2011. And the administration continues to block the Keystone XL project.
- CLICK HERE FOR A HIGH-RES VERSION OF THE GRAPHIC ABOVE
BOEHNER QUOTE: “Instead of wasting taxpayer dollars on failed ‘stimulus’ programs, we should be working together on common-sense solutions to expand American energy production and address rising gas prices. With or without the Democrats’ cooperation, Republicans here on Capitol will continue to work toward this objective.” (Remarks, 3/29/12)
Latest posts by Office of the Speaker (see all)
- It’s Go Time - March 22, 2017
- Speaker Ryan on Prong Three Health Care Legislation - March 22, 2017
- Speaker Ryan Celebrates Opening of ‘First Women in Congress’ Exhibit - March 22, 2017