SOTU FACT: President Obama Has Consistently Blocked More American Energy, Driving Up Gas Prices & Destroying Jobs
CLAIM: President Obama claims energy production is at an all time high on his watch, and says he will support more American energy production.
- “We buy … less foreign oil than we have in twenty [years]. … We produce more oil at home than we have in 15 years. … That’s why my Administration will keep cutting red tape and speeding up new oil and gas permits.” (President Obama, State of the Union Address, February 12, 2013)
FACT: The Obama administration has thwarted American energy production and destroyed jobs by blocking off key areas to energy development and regulating the coal industry out of business.
- When President Obama took office in January 2009, the average price of gasoline was $1.85. Today, it’s nearly doubled to $3.54, forcing American families to spend an average of four percent of their household income on gas – the highest percentage in three decades.
- President Obama’s five-year leasing plan closes 85 percent of America’s offshore areas to energy production, dismantling the bipartisan agreement reached in 2008 to lift the long-standing moratorium on offshore energy exploration and development. Contrary to that agreement, the president’s plan opens no new areas to energy production and provides for the fewest number of new lease sales in history, according to the House Natural Resources Committee.
- According to the Energy Information Administration, oil production on federal land decreased by 14 percent and natural gas production on federal land decreased by 11 percent from 2010 to 2011. “Meanwhile, there was a 14 percent increase for oil production on private and state lands and a 12 percent increase for natural gas production on private and state lands,” according to the non-partisan Institute for Energy Research.
- The Obama administration’s war on coal is raising costs, shutting down plants, and destroying jobs – and there’s no relief in sight. According to an independent analysis, seven of the Obama administration’s coal regulations alone “will contribute to projected shutdowns of up to 69,000 megawatts of coal-fueled electric generation and job losses of up to 887,000 jobs per year,” The Daily Caller reports.
- CLICK HERE FOR A HIGH-RES VERSION OF THE GRAPHIC ABOVE
BOEHNER QUOTE: “At the same time that President Obama claims to support Republicans’ all-of-the-above energy policy, his administration is unleashing a barrage of excessive red tape that is shutting down power producers and mining operations, and devastating the families and communities that depend on them. These regulations mean fewer jobs and higher energy costs for all Americans, who are already paying the price for President Obama’s failed energy policies on everything from gas to groceries.” (House Steps Up to Stop President Obama’s War on Coal, Protect American Jobs, 9/21/12)
Latest posts by Office of the Speaker (see all)
- Republican Plan Will Vault U.S. Tax Code to the Top - February 17, 2017
- A Productive Start to the First 200 Days: Speaker Ryan on Hannity - February 17, 2017
- Statement on Leader Robert H. Michel - February 17, 2017