Much-Needed Tough Talk from Sen. Graham on the Debt Ceiling
After the “fiscal-cliff” fiasco (still playing out), what comes next? On New Year’s Day, in less than 5 minutes (video below), Sen. Lindsey Graham of South Carolina laid out a strategy for the upcoming debt ceiling negotiations.
Graham is direct and blunt. It’s nice to hear this kind of language for a change instead of the usual hackneyed GOP talking-point pablum. Let’s hope the rest of Congress follows a forceful style and leadership strategy like Graham’s.
Parts of the senator’s remarks (paraphrased):
- The Senate is a dysfunctional place. Everything in the House comes to the Senate to die.
- Never raise the debt ceiling again until we understand why we’re in such debt and develop a solution to Social Security and Medicare.
- The president is a small-minded guy in big times. The president runs pep rallies in the middle of a crisis.
- Make the president face up to the fact that we’re spending our way into oblivion and dooming our children.
- Message to the president: Man up and be the president the people want you to be.
Latest posts by David Leeper (see all)
- BREAKING: Finally, a federal budget director (Mulvaney) speaks up for taxpayers! - March 16, 2017
- Breaking – Arizona Legislature Passes Convention of States Resolution - March 13, 2017
- Legacy Obamacare – A Graceful End to the Obamacare Debacle - March 12, 2017