Obama buyer’s remorse
The media and some of the pollsters are trying to convince you that Barack Obama has this in the bag. Of course, they were trying to convince you that Carter had it in the bag in 1980, so their credibility isn’t really first rate anymore. Here are some important points:
- Democrats will not turn out at anywhere near the rate they did in 2008. Any poll that uses 2008 as a basis for its 2012 turnout predictions is next of kin to useless.
- Republican cohorts are more enthusiastic than Democrat cohorts.
- Romney will win indies.
- No cohort that voted for Obama in 2008 will be an enthusiastic in 2012.
This last point is common sense. After four years of what has been a disappointing presidency (to all but a core of robotically loyal supporters), it is unlikely that any cohort will turn out in as great numbers or as great a percentage as they did when Obama was a messianic tabula rasa of hope, change, and unicorns. Unlike Ronald Reagan, who went from strong victory in 1980 to crushing landslide victory in 1984, Obama has not inspired more excitement and loyalty.
Rather, buyer’s remorse is a much more likely feature among a certain percentage of every one of his 2008 cohorts.
Here’s one example:
Ardently devoted to the cause of human freedom, he has worked at the confluence of politics, activism, and public policy for more than a decade. He co-wrote a ten-part series of video shorts on economics, and has film credits as a researcher on 11 political documentaries, including Citizens United's notorious film on Hillary Clinton that became the subject of a landmark Supreme Court decision. He is the founder of several activist endeavors, including AnyStreet.org (now a part of Western Free Press) and Liberatchik.com. He is currently the managing editor of and principal contributor to WesternFreePress.com.
Latest posts by Christopher Cook (see all)
- Anyone Who Asks You Why You Don’t Trust Polls . . . SHOW THEM THIS! - January 16, 2017
- Podcast: Why the Media Is Making You Miserable (And Risking the Progress We’ve Made) - January 15, 2017
- Image caption test 2 - January 12, 2017